Try these daily exercises to become more mindful about your life.
- Be mindful of what you eat - focus your attention on how your food looks and tastes.
- Mindful movement - notice the breeze against your skin when you jog, the feeling of your body parts against different textures on the ground as you walk.
- Body scan - notice the sensations in all of your body parts, starting from the top of your head down to your toes.
- Mindful meditation.
- focus on your breathing and what you can hear around you.
- Re-centre your mind if it begins to wander.
- Yoga has proven to help with breathing concentration and focusing on the present moment.
Get the most out of your mindfulness exercises:
- Pay attention – e.g., pay attention to the water on your skin in the shower.
- Notice – when your mind wanders, notice where your thoughts have drifted to.
- Choose & return – consciously make the decision to bring your attention back to the present moment.
- Be aware and accept – notice emotions you are feeling and accept these feelings without judging yourself.
- Be kind to yourself – remember, mindfulness is a difficult practice and our minds naturally wander. Don’t be too hard on yourself.