Intuitive eating is a way of eating that stops bad habits and promotes a good attitude and relationship with your body. In the simplest form, intuitive eating teaches you to only eat when you are hungry and to stop when you know you are full. It seems simple enough but it’s surprising how often other factors change our eating patterns, such as our emotions and social dieting pressures.
Tips for achieving Intuitive Eating:
- Forget dieting forever and simply listen to your body! Often dieting books and resources can make you believe you must eat a certain way. Intuitive eating teaches you to leave all of these rules behind and use your own body as your guide.
- Recognise the feeling of being full and remember that this means you don't need any more food.
- Don’t be strict on yourself. This way of eating should promote a healthier way of viewing food and help you leave insecurities about your body behind. Simply by doing what your body is telling you then you are doing everything right!
- Treat your emotions properly to stop you from using food as a coping method. Mindfulness can help you focus on your feelings and avoid eating when you don’t need to.
- Shift your focus from losing weight to feeling happy and healthy and enjoying your food.
Overall, intuitive eating may come easy to some and may be a challenge for others. The key is to focus on your health and happiness and there are plenty of resources available to help you learn if you want to try it!