Why Setting Boundaries can be the Key to Happiness
Boundary setting can be key to maintaining healthy relationships and a healthy, supportive environment around you. Boundaries help us to take ownership of our lives and our happiness and self care plays a big part. Boundaries can be for topics varying from physical and mental to psychological and spiritual, involving beliefs, emotions and self-esteem.
An example of a healthy boundary is ‘I'm okay with regularly texting, but I don't want to text multiple times in an hour.’ Having no boundaries can lead to low self-esteem, stress, insomnia, never taking the time to recharge and feeling guilty for practicing self- care. When you are direct about what you will and won't stand for, there will be less boundary crossing.
How to identify boundaries:
Where do you stand on your values and how do you wish to be treated? Are you doing things just to please others?
Boundaries ensure that you:
- Demonstrate self-respect and respect of others
- Understand and share the limits you’ve set for yourself
- Know when your limits have been overstepped
- Live well with yourself and others, and build a rewarding and content life that equates to your beliefs and values
- Learn to say no and don’t overload your schedule. Saying no to someone else means saying yes to yourself and your own self care.