Who doesn't like mac and cheese? This low FODMAP recipe is gluten-free, vegan, dairy-free and requires no nuts!
Prep Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 45 mins
For the macaroni
250g gluten free macaroni pasta
For the cheese sauce
500ml milk (dairy free if necessary)
50g butter or margarine (dairy free if necessary)
50g gluten free flour
1/2 tsp mustard powder
1 tsp smoked paprika
200g cheese, grated (I use the Applewood smoky vegan cheese but feel free to use regular dairy cheese)
salt and pepper
For the breadcrumbs
50g gluten free breadcrumbs
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
30g butter (dairy free if necessary)
- Preheat your oven to 200C / 180C Fan.
- Boil your pasta in salted boiling water (with a little oil too) until almost cooked (I leave it a little undercooked as gluten free pasta has a tendency to break up more – it will finish cooking in the oven). Drain the pasta and put to one side whilst you make your sauce.
- To make the sauce, melt your butter or margarine (dairy free if necessary) in a saucepan. Once melted, add in your gf flour, mustard powder and smoked paprika. Stir in for a couple of minutes. It probably will go quite clumpy, don't allow it to sit, always stir.
- Gradually pour in your milk and whisk it as you go. Whisk all the milk in until you have a lump free sauce. Keep stirring and simmer until the sauce has thickened (4-5 minutes but it might take a little less or more).
- Remove from the heat and stir in your cheese so that it melts through. Season with some salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine your sauce and pasta in whatever saucepan you prefer. Mix together carefully so the pasta is coated but not too much so that the pasta breaks.
- To make the breadcrumb topping, add your butter/margarine to a small frying pan and allow it to melt. Then add your gluten free breadcrumbs and smoked paprika. Stir together until the breadcrumbs turn golden and then cook for about a minute longer.
- Either in a larger oven proof dish or 3-4 small dishes (like I used in the photos) spoon in your cheesy sauce-coated pasta. Sprinkle over your toasted breadcrumbs.
- Place in the oven for about 20-25 minutes until crisp, golden and bubbling.
- Sprinkle with fresh chives and serve up as a main or a side