Gluten-Free Flourless Chocolate Cake
- ¾ cup (170g) finely chopped, high quality, semi-sweet chocolate
- ½ cup (115g / 1 stick) unsalted butter
- ⅔ cup (135g) granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup (27g) unsweetened natural / dutch-process cocoa powder
- 4 large eggs; room temperature
- 2 teaspoons espresso powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder (optional)
Whipped Mocha Cream
- 1 cup (240ml) heavy whipping cream / cold heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons (22g) confectioner’s sugar
- 1 tablepoon (6g) unsweetened natural / dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon warm water
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- Few raspberries with a light sprinkle of confectioner’s sugar (optional)
Prehear the oven to 350°F (177°C) and grease an 8-inch cake round cake pan - line with parchment paper, grease that too.
Use a large heat-proof mixing bowl. Add the chopped butter and chocolate pieces. Melt in 20 seconds increments and stir after each increment, until completely smooth, in the microwave.
Whisk together the espresso powder, sugar and vanilla extract into the chocolate mixture, along with the eggs until smooth. The batter will be thick. Next, add in the cocoa powder, salt and baking powder (optional ingredient). Pour this batter into the cake pan.
Place a large metal roasting pan or baking dish on the bottom oven rack. Do not use glass. Pour boiling water about 2 inches up the sides of the pan. Quickly place the cake on the center rack and shut the oven door, trapping steam inside. The steamy oven helps guarantee an extra moist cake.
Bake it for 30 minutes until the edges have set. Use the toothpick method after 25 minutes to see if the cake has been baked.
After removing it from the oven, let it cool for only 10 minutes in the cake pan. Using a knife, gently remove and transfer yhr cake onto a plate or cake stand. Let it cool completely in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
Once cooled, top it with the whipped mocha cream. Use a fork to mix the espresso powder and warm water in a small bowl and let it cool down for a few minutes. Next, using a hand mixer or a whisk, mix the heavy whipping cream, sugar, cocoa powder and espresso mixture for about 3-4 minutes. Apply it on top of the cake or serve separately. Garnish with raspberries and confectioner’s sugar if you wish to!
Enjoy! (you can store the cake for up to 5 days in the refrigerator)Source