Beet & Ricotta Hummus
Spruce up your regular chickpea hummus by adding some (healthy) colour to it! This easy recipe is delicious, serves as a light evening snack and can even be consumed as a starter for your meals. Pair it with crackers, lavash or crusty mini toasts.
- 1 scrubbed, medium sized red beetroot (about 6 ounces)
- 15½-ounce canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ⅓ cup tahini, smoothly mixed
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup ricotta
- 1 garlic clove, paste or finely grated
- 10 cranks freshly ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- Poppy seeds, mint leaves, olive oil (for serving)
Preheat oven to 425°. Tightly fold the beet in foil and place it on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet. Bake it until the centre is soft, for about 60-70 minutes. Judge this by passing a fork to check if it has been fully baked. Wait for it to cool.
Use a mixer or food processor to blend the chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, ricotta, salt, pepper and coriander until a smooth paste is formed.
Gently rub the beet with a paper towel to remove the skin and add it to the food processor. Chop the root and cut it into 8 slices; continue blending until it smoothens. Taste to see if extra salt is required.
The hummus is ready! Transfer it into a bowl, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle mint leaves and poppy seeds.
* Can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days, in an airtight container.